A tour Around Jolo, Sulu

Image
  Assalamu Alaykum! (Peace be with you!) I just realized... I haven't talked much about my videos about Sulu in this blog. I have a playlist which you can watch if you are interested in seeing (or maybe visiting?) my dear homeplace.  Just check it out here: JOLO, SULU PLAYLIST You can watch this instead:      Yup, that is all for today.   PS. I am mulling over the idea of transferring my blog from blogspot to wordpress...  hmmmmmm    

The May 1 Tuli Mission


Joining Muslim Doctors (MD) for a Tuli Mission

Alhamdulillah, a few days ago, a good friend of mine told me that the young medical students from Ateneo de Zamboanga University School of Medicine (ADZU-SOM) were here in Manila for a surgical mission. Their group was known as the Muslim Doctors (or M.D.). I went to visit them that day and to my delight, they invited us to join their event last May 1, 2016 at Mahabba Islamic Center in San Andres Bukid, Malate, Manila. I immediately informed the members of UP-Association of Muslim Students (UP-AMS) and Alhamdulillah, 5 of them volunteered to join me. I learned later on that another friend and fellow medical student from another school will also join.

First meeting with the MD team

I was on ER Duty the night before, and honestly I did not get much sleep before the event. But Alhamdulillah, I was not feeling that sleepy maybe because of the excitement! I met with my members right after my duty and went to the venue where we met the team from M.D. and Dr. Afdal Kunting.  A short orientation was delivered by the organizers and then the surgical mission of free circumcision commenced. Later on, I was surprised to see Dr. Jajurie (a very famous physician from Sulu) and Dr. Randy Abdulla (a professor in UPCM, surgeon and UP-AMS’ adviser) who dropped by to help and guide us! The surgical mission went on as the medical students from different Medical schools worked together while learning the art and skills of a proper minor surgery (with the guidance of our surgeons of course!)

Alhamdulillah, it was indeed a short yet fulfilling event!

Setting up the "surgical theatre" plus orientations with the future doctors.
First-timer members from UP-AMS observes a demonstration from one of the MD doctors present.
How does it feel to have a great surgeon and your professor as your first assist, Anisa?
(I'm the second assist, btw haha)


It was in fact the first time for me to meet most of the brothers and sisters from their group, with the exception of a few students I recognized back in high school days. Yes, they all came from the ZamBaSulTa Region where I came from, and maybe that made me feel closer to them because I could comfortably talk with my vernacular language, but there was just something deeper that connected us: Islamic brotherhood. From the get-to-know dinner/meeting until the very event (the Tuli mission), I was indeed amazed by the closeness these group of students have. What I felt and what I saw was not a mere organization with members only compelled to do something just out of necessity or requirement. This is what real brotherhood/sisterhood was supposed to look like. May Allah increase the number of such kind of organizations and guide us Muslim students to join these kinds of groups and avoid other unnecessary groups that would only waste our time and efforts. Allahumma Ameen.




Muslim Doctors should never forget that it is still Allah who heals.

Students listen to Dr. Randy Abdulla giving a short refresher on the proper way of doing a dorsal slit circumcision.

The Team: Brothers and sisters in Islam, and future colleagues in profession, in sha Allah!


PS. Medical students who attended were from: Ateneo de Zamboanga University-School of Medicine, University of the Philippines-College of Medicine, Emilio Aguinaldo College and Our Lady of Fatima University-College of Medicine. On May 2, 2016, they have another Tuli Mission in Quezon City. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOME USEFUL TAUSUG WORDS YOU CAN USE.

Sulu Hidden History: The remnants of Sulu Parula (Parola) -part 2