A tour Around Jolo, Sulu

Image
  Assalamu Alaykum! (Peace be with you!) I just realized... I haven't talked much about my videos about Sulu in this blog. I have a playlist which you can watch if you are interested in seeing (or maybe visiting?) my dear homeplace.  Just check it out here: JOLO, SULU PLAYLIST You can watch this instead:      Yup, that is all for today.   PS. I am mulling over the idea of transferring my blog from blogspot to wordpress...  hmmmmmm    

The Toxic Magnet

It's official. I am indeed THE toxic magnet in our group.

It was just recently proven last Friday during my short ER duty under the Surgery Department. Just a little over an hour since I logged-in and a number of trauma cases came in one after the other. Two vehicular accident with one of them receiving a compound, comminuted open fracture of the left tibia and fibula (in simpler terms, his bones where crushed and we can see them jotting out from his bleeding legs. He was literally screaming his lungs out due to pain @_@  Yeah, sorry for the bloody description...). Not an hour had passed and another patient was brought to us, unconscious and barely breathing. What happened? He tried to kill himself by hanging with a rope x_x Good thing our DEM doctors are really good at "reviving" (?) patients. He was given proper resuscitation procedures while we try to interview his family members what really happened and how long he had been "hanged".

It was just a few hours since we started our duty and I could already sense my senior clerks and interns on duty glaring at me with those "it's-your-fault!" eyes. It was supposed to be a calm day during their rotations, until we came in, or so they claimed.

Oh well. I never really planned to be there in the first place. That day when our Liaison Officer informed us about the "optional duty" under surgery, I was more than willing to volunteer. Why? Because I thought it would be an OR-based duty helping out with surgeries in the surgical theatre. I have no idea that it was actually an ER duty! (yeah, blame it to the guy who never listens intently to announcements before raising up his right hand... who? Me? Come on!)

And because our names (me and another victim who also thought the same way as I did) were already listed and the SOD (Surgeon on Duty) was already informed about our presence, we have no choice to go on. For higher learning, we tried to convince ourselves. But hey! Alhamdulillah, it was indeed another learning experience to remember!

This is the "Baby Schwartz" Companion Book that I bring everywhere during this few days in Surgery. Pretty helpful to those who have no idea what they are doing (like me)
Although we didn't get the chance to do the suturing, we were still able to help in doing some of the prox (procedures: inserting folley catheter, blood extractions, IV lining). It's a good way to practice our skills somehow. Another action-packed day in the emergency medicine.

Lesson of the day: Listen to what your LO is saying and be more conscious if it's an OR or an ER duty. Also, inform your comrades-in-duty that you are a "toxic magnet" to prepare them somehow.

Salam!
Exhausted Anakiluh, MD

(Written April 10, 2015)

Comments

karlacruzado said…
I've heard of the so-called toxic magnet. I hope I wouldn't be one! But as they say, more toxic, more learning! :)
ahmad said…
Hah! well it would depend on what time and day you get the "toxicity". If you are already exhausted with hours of standing in the OR and then toxicity strikes, you wouldn't really be able to elarn much because your brain is just too exhausted haha.


Pero experience-wise, masaya naman haha. This is the road we decided to take. No more turning back! haha Goodluck sa ICC year nyo ^_^ Be sure to make the most of it

Popular posts from this blog

SOME USEFUL TAUSUG WORDS YOU CAN USE.

Sulu Hidden History: The remnants of Sulu Parula (Parola) -part 2

The May 1 Tuli Mission