A tour Around Jolo, Sulu

Image
  Assalamu Alaykum! (Peace be with you!) I just realized... I haven't talked much about my videos about Sulu in this blog. I have a playlist which you can watch if you are interested in seeing (or maybe visiting?) my dear homeplace.  Just check it out here: JOLO, SULU PLAYLIST You can watch this instead:      Yup, that is all for today.   PS. I am mulling over the idea of transferring my blog from blogspot to wordpress...  hmmmmmm    

To See Them Get Well


Feb 2 2016




It was just one of those usual busy days at the wards. My watch just told me it's almost 3 in the afternoon. I haven't had my lunch yet and I still have a lot of things to do. And while I was savagely writing down my SIC progress notes on one of my patient's chart earlier, at that same time, my brain cells were as busy deciding which of the couple more things to I still need to do must come next. And then, someone tapped my back and called me:

"Sir sir, excuse me, sir." I stopped writing and looked at this guy whom I almost failed to recognize. I remember his face during my short stay in the Emergency Department, but I just can't locate his name, nor his story how we met in that ever-so-busy place.



"Sir, mabuti nakita ko po kayo," He said with a smile.


"Oh kumusta na po?" I asked him pretending I remember him that well, while trying so hard identifying the right name to fit his face. Dude, I am weakest at this guessing game.


"Mabuti naman po," He said, "Gumaling na po si Nanay, pauwi na po kami mamaya. Maraming salamat po sir sa tulong niyo!"


Still clueless but now with a feeling of delight with the great news, I gestured a pleasant prodding of the subject "Talaga ho? Naku mabuti naman po! San po si Nanay gusto ko siyang makita." And with that, I totally forgot about my pending to-do-lists and followed the cheerful, young man to where his mother was waiting. I went there, still another patient's chart in my hands.


The moment I saw her, I remembered her name: Aling Sonia. If I do remember it right, she was brought in by her son when she experienced a sudden weakness of her right extremities. They also noticed that she was already speaking in a slurred way. It was her first attack of stroke, and to which her son had the best decision of bringing her immediately to the hospital.

I honestly can no longer remember what happened after our short meeting at the ER. They were endorsed and transferred to the wards and I finished my ER duties. I never even thought I would see them again right then and there.


Then her son said, "Ma, siya po yung isang Medical student na tinutukoy ko na tumulong sa atin sa ER." Aling Sonia smiled and waved at me, saying her thanks. I got this feeling that she never really remembered my face, leave alone my name (think of all the dozens of faces in PGH who probably approached and asked her questions, how would she remember me!) And yet, I could feel the sincerity in her smiles.

"Maraming salamat po talaga sir." her son said repeatedly.


"Naku wala po yun, kuya" I humbly replied. "Tsaka hindi po talaga kayo sa akin dapat magpasalamat kasi konte lang naitulong ko. Ang naging rason po talaga ng pagkagaling niyo, maliban po sa mga doktor natin, mga nars, at iba pa, ay ang Diyos nating mahabagin."

"Opo tama po yun. Salamat po sa Diyos, siya lang po talaga ang makakapagpagaling sa atin. At maraming salamat din po sa inyong lahat."


"Salamat din po sa inyo"  I finally said before going back to my chart, now smiling. Thank you for allowing me to experience this joy.

Maa sha Allah! What a wonderful feeling indeed to be part of something big, something awesome as this! To see a patient get well... Alhamdulillah! All praise is due to Allah!

Now I got a few more patients to see go home one day, in sha Allah! (God willing!)

A few minutes later, that same man came back to me with a piece of paper.

"Sir, palagay naman ng FB niyo dito oh, iadd kita."

(^_^)
So much for remembering one's names.



-Ahmad
SIC Neuro Clerk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOME USEFUL TAUSUG WORDS YOU CAN USE.

Sulu Hidden History: The remnants of Sulu Parula (Parola) -part 2

The May 1 Tuli Mission