A tour Around Jolo, Sulu

Image
  Assalamu Alaykum! (Peace be with you!) I just realized... I haven't talked much about my videos about Sulu in this blog. I have a playlist which you can watch if you are interested in seeing (or maybe visiting?) my dear homeplace.  Just check it out here: JOLO, SULU PLAYLIST You can watch this instead:      Yup, that is all for today.   PS. I am mulling over the idea of transferring my blog from blogspot to wordpress...  hmmmmmm    

Pre-Departure Reflections

Assalamu alaykum!

This week marks our first week in the community as part of our 6-week rotation in FCh260.2 Community Medicine. We will be assigned in Mendez and Bailen, Cavite. We will be leaving for Cavite this Tuesday, in sha Allah. But before that, we had to finish some series of orientations, trainings and lectures on community organizing. This is pretty exciting as you may all know that I am an avid lover of Community medicine. It's like my passion! haha. I am among the 10% of medical students who wouldn't hesitate to raise their hands when asked to practice as Doctors to the far-flung communities. The smell of the unknown adventure that lies ahead certainly excites my soul! Yohohoho!

Anyway. We were asked to submit a "Pre-Departure" Reflection paper with the following guide questions. I have a far longer response to all of them, but I had to cut the, short as we were limited to one page only haha. I am sharing this to everyone :) 

See you around!

===== 

PRE-ROTATION REFLECTION PAPER

I.        What do I personally hope to achieve in this community rotation?
I have been working with my own community back in Sulu every time I go home for my summer immersions. And I have always wanted to know how things work, especially in the grassroots level, in other places here in Luzon. Perhaps I could learn something that they have done in the community that we could apply back home. Personally, I hope that I could become a better physician who is well-equipped with the knowledge and skills to better serve my people. I will try and do the best that I can to learn.
 
II.      Do I envision a future endeavor where I may be able to use the experience I will gain from this rotation?
Definitely yes. I will surely make use of this unique chance to learn and experience how to plan, organize, and implement community-related health programs. This is something that I have always wanted to experience since LU3 and now hopefully I could apply when I finally go back home to Sulu as a full-pledged doctor to serve my own community, God-willing. I also want to understand why things work and don’t work especially in our current health systems. I wanted to have a deeper understanding on this hopefully finding a way to solve it somehow—or at least help in that process.

III.    What role/s do I see myself in while in the community?
Aside from being a medical intern, learning all the needed skills and knowledge while in the community, and more than just being a substitute and temporary “physician”, I see myself becoming part or member of that community. The best way to understand the people is to be with them if not to feel and be one with them. Hopefully I could actively participate and slowly take on the helm towards becoming that five-start physician.

IV.    What are my fears/anxieties in this community rotation?
After the previous orientation, I have heard about the complaints by the community (especially foster families) about us interns rotating in the community. I cannot, for one, speak for them as we are all different individuals… But I can’t help but get worried as well. How are we suppose meet those expectations by the community considering we are already—if I may say—marked? Perhaps, we can also wish for the best then? No, we will do our best so that by the time we leave our communities by the end of this 6-week rotation, we will all depart with good memories to leave behind.
Another fear is the expenses as we do not know the place yet. But I have been told that the people there are so kind that they won’t leave you empty-handed (or in an empty-stomach). So yeah, definitely looking forward to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOME USEFUL TAUSUG WORDS YOU CAN USE.

Sulu Hidden History: The remnants of Sulu Parula (Parola) -part 2

The May 1 Tuli Mission